Udupi Thermal Power Plant

Udupi Power Corporation Limited is a 1200 Megawatt thermal power plant. It is a coal fired power venture in the Udupi region of Karnataka. The power station is located in the western coastal area of India that too situated in the Yellur village of Karnataka in between the districts, Mangalore and Udupi. Udupi Thermal Power Plant is commissioned in 2012 March. It has an approved capacity of 1200 Megawatt and the installed capacity is 1200 Megawatt. The status of this thermal power plant is operational. The source of coal for the production of power is imported via New Mangalore Port which has a captive jetty of 4 million tonnes per year. The primary fuel used for the production of power is coal. The type of power plant is Supercritical. The operator of this thermal power plant is Udupi Power Corporation Limited, which is a secondary of Lanco Infratech.

Earlier the power plant was owned and sponsored by Nagarjuna Power Corporation Limited. But now it is under the control of Adani Power. Lanco Infratech has sold this power plant to Adani Power for INR 6,000 Crores. The Beneficiary states of this thermal power plant were Karnataka (90% of power generation) and the rest of 10 percent to the Indian state of Punjab. The Unit size of this thermal power plant is 2 unit x 600 Megawatts. There are two units in Operation and they are Unit 1 and Unit 2.

For Phase 1, two units are commissioned and they are Unit 1 and Unit 2. The first unit is commissioned in 2012 March with an installed capacity of 600 Megawatt. The second unit is also commissioned in 2012 March with an installed capacity of 600 Megawatt. Phase 2 is under construction and it has two units. They are Unit 3 and Unit 4. The third unit is under construction with a proposed capacity of 800 Megawatt. Whereas the fourth unit is also under construction with the proposed capacity of 800 Megawatt. Both Unit 3 and Unit 4 (Phase 2) received grant for Environment Clearance for further construction in August 1, 2017. The power plant is planned for completion in 2020.

How to Reach: The Udupi Thermal Power Plant is located in the Padubidri Industrial Area between the villages of Yelluru, Santuru, Tenka & Bada in the Udupi district of Karnataka. The location is nearly about 35 kilometres away from Mangalore city. Regular Buses are provided by the Karnataka transport services between the routes from nearby cities and towns to the Udupi Thermal power station. Udupi railway station is the nearest Railway Station which is well-connected. You would get trains from Udupi railway station to any other cities in the state. Mangalore International Airport is the nearest Airport, which is just 58 kilometres from Udupi via NH 66.

Phase 1 - Unit 1- 2012 March – 600 Megawatt - Commissioned

Phase 1 - Unit 2- 2012 March – 600 Megawatt - Commissioned

Phase 2 – Unit 3 - Under Construction – 800 Megawatt - Environment Clearance Received

Phase 2 – Unit 4 - Under Construction – 800 Megawatt - Environment Clearance Received