Tarapur Atomic Power Station India
The Tarapur Atomic Power Station is situated at Tarapur, Palghar District, Maharastra. The total installed capacity of the plant is 1400 MWe and the firm capacity is 1280 MWe.
This is a fully operating power plant and the plant is served as base load in Maharastra State. The reactor used in the plant is a Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR) reactor and the power from the plant is mainly connected to the regional grid. Sea water is taken as the main source of water in this plant.
The plant has four different units and the IAEA-ID for the four units are IN-1 Tarapur-1, IN-2 Tarapur-2, IN-23 Tarapur-3 and IN-24 Tarapur-4 respectively. The construction start date for the first two units is 01-October-1964 and these two units are commissioned on 28-October-1969. The third and fourth units are commissioned on 18-August-2006 and 12-September-2005 and the construction work of both the units starts in the year 2000.
The first unit has an installed capacity of 207 MWe and the second unit has an installed capacity of 200 MWe. The third and fourth unit has an installed capacity of 502 MWe. GE USA is the reactor manufacturer for the first two units and NPCIL is the reactor manufacturer for the last two units. GE USA is the turbine and generator manufacturer for the first two units and BHEL Hardwar is the generator and turbine manufacturer for the third and fourth units. The reactor models used here are BWR BWR-1/Mark II (for units 1 and 2) and PHWR (two-loop) (for units 3 and 4). Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd is the owner and operating company of the plant. The construction contractors of the plant are GE and NPCIL.
How to Reach: Tarapur Atomic Power Station is located in the Tarapur town of Palghar District in Maharastra, India. Tarapur Railway Station is the nearest railway station and Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport of Mumbai is the nearest airport.
• Project Name – Tarapur Atomic Power Station
• Commissioned Year – 1969
• Total Installed Capacity in MW – 1400 MWe
• Status of Plant - Fully operating power plant
• Power Plant Used for – base load
• Type of Reactor – Pressurized Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR)
• Water source – Sea Water
• Reactor Manufacturer - GE USA and NPCIL
• Reactor Type - BWR-1/Mark II and PHWR (two-loop)
• Turbine manufacturer - GE USA and BHEL Hardwar
• Generator Manufacturer - GE USA and BHEL Hardwar
• Owner - Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd
• Address – Tarapur, Palghar District, Maharastra, India
• District – Palghar District
• State – Maharastra
• Contact Number - +91 (2525) 282002
• Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website – npcil.nic.in
• Unit Sizes –1 x 207, 1 x 200 and 2 x 502 MWe
• Units Operational – 4
• Unit Commissioned – All units are commissioned