Peringalkuthu Hydroelectric Project
Peringalkuthu Hydroelectric Project is located in the Thrissur district of Kerala in India. It is commissioned in 1957. The approved and installed capacity of the power plant is 48 MW. The type of project is Major since the capacity is greater than 25 MW. The type of Powerhouse is Surface. The Configuration of Powerhouses is 4 units (First to Fourth Unit) on left bank power house and 1 unit (Fifth Unit) on right bank power house.
The status of power plant is Working and are Operational. The source of water for the generation of power is from the Chalakudi River, which is the fourth longest river of Kerala. The Hydroelectric Basin of power plant is the west flowing rivers in South India. The Hydroelectric region of power plant is located in the Southern Hydroelectric region of the country. The hydroelectric development type is Storage.
The power plant is owned by Kerala Government and is under the operation of Kerala State Electricity Board. The beneficiary states of this Peringalkuthu Hydroelectric Project is Kerala. The Completion of Power Project was in 1960 and in the same year, it started its operations. The total number of Turbines in the power plant is five and Capacity per turbine is 8 MW x 4 units(left bank power house) and 16 MW x 1 unit(right bank power house). The type of Turbine built is Francis. The Manufacturer of Turbine in the Power House is by the Charmilles Switzerland and the Manufacturer of Generator is by the English Electric UK.
The Unit Sizes of power plant is 48 MW (8 MW of 4 units and 16 MW of 1 unit). There are five units in operation and all the units are commissioned.
How to Reach: Peringalkuthu Hydroelectric Project is located in the Thrissur district of Kerala in India. You can reach this power station via Road from the nearest towns. You will get regular buses or taxis from power station to any part of the state. The nearest major railway stations are chalakkudy and thrissur railway stations. Cochin International Airport is the nearest Airport.
• Hydroelectric Project Name – Peringalkuthu Hydroelectric Project
• Commission Date – 1957
• Approved Capacity in MW – 48 MW
• Installed Capacity in MW – 48 MW
• Type of Project – Major (>25 MW)
• Type of Powerhouse – Surface
• Configuration of Powerhouses - Powerhouses on right (units 1-4) and left banks (unit 5)
• Status –Working
• Water Source – Chalakudi River
• Hydroelectric Basin – West flowing rivers in South India
• Hydroelectric Region – Southern Hydroelectric Region
• Hydroelectric Development Type – Storage
• Owner – Kerala Government
• Operating Company – KSE Board
• Address – Thrissur, Kerala, India
• District – Thrissur
• State – Kerala
• Contact Number –+91471 2555544
• Email –
• Website – www.kseb.in
• Beneficiary States/ Union Territories – Kerala
• Completion of Power Project– 1960
• Number of Turbines – 5
• Capacity per Turbine – 8 MW x 4 units and 16 MW x 1 unit
• Type of Turbine – Francis
• Turbine Manufacturer – Charmilles Switzerland
• Generator Manufacturer – English Electric UK
• Unit Sizes – 48 MW (8 MW x 4 and 16 MW x 1)
• Total Units – 5
• Units Commissioned – All the five units are commissioned.