Kakkad Hydroelectric Project
Kakkad Hydroelectric Project is erected at the Seethathodu village of Pathanamthitta in Kerala. It is commissioned in 1999 with an approved and installed capacity of 50 MW. The Project is a Major Type, since the installed capacity is more than 25 MW. The type of powerhouse is Surface and the status of project is Operational. The source of water for the generation of current is Moozhiyar and Veluthodu /Pamba rivers. The hydroelectric basin is west flowing rivers. The power plant is erected in the South Hydroelectric region. The Hydroelectric Development type of power house is Storage.
This Kakkad Hydroelectric Project is owned by State Government of Kerala and it is operated by the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB). The Beneficiary States of the power house are Kerala and other South Indian States. The power project is completed and started its operation in 1999.
The total number of turbines in the power plant is two and capacity per each Turbine is 25 Megawatt. The Type of Turbine used is Francis. The manufacturer of Turbine and Generator of the Power House is by the Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited of India. The total number of units in the power house is two and all the units are functional. The Unit Size of Power House is 2 units of 25 MW, so the total installed capacity of power plant is 50 MW.
How to Reach: Kakkad Hydroelectric Project is located in the Seethathodu town of Pathanamthitta district in Kerala. You can reach this Power House via Road, Rail or Air. Seethathodu is located at about 35 km away from Pathanamthitta. So you can reach this destination by bus or taxi from Pathanamthitta. Tiruvalla railway station is the nearest railway station and Thiruvananthapuram International Airport is the nearest Airport.
• Hydroelectric Project Name – Kakkad Hydroelectric Project.
• Commission Date – 1999
• Approved Capacity in MW – 50 MW
• Installed Capacity in MW – 50 MW
• Type of Project – Major (>25 MW)
• Type of Powerhouse - Surface
• Status – Operational
• Water Source – Moozhiyar, Veluthodu /Pamba
• Basin – West going rivers from Tadri to Kanyakumari
• Hydroelectric Basin – West flowing rivers
• Hydroelectric Region – South Hydroelectric Region
• Hydroelectric Development Type - Storage
• Owner – Kerala Government
• Operating Company – Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB)
• Address – Seethathodu, Pathanamthitta, Kerala, India
• District – Pathanamthitta
• State – Kerala
• Contact Number – +91 (471) 244 6480
• Email –
• Website – kseb.in
• Beneficiary States/ Union Territories – Kerala
• Completion of Power Project – 1999
• Number of Turbines – 2
• Capacity per Turbine – 25
• Type of Turbine – Francis
• Turbine Manufacturer – BHEL, India
• Generator Manufacturer – BHEL, India
• Unit Sizes – 50 MW (25 MW x 2 units)
• Total Units – 2
• Units Commissioned - All are Commissioned