Jaldhaka Hydroelectric Project
Jaldhaka Hydroelectric Project is erected in the Jaldhaka River in the Jhalong village of Darjeeling district in West Bengal. The power project is commissioned in 1967 with a total installed capacity of 27 MW. The project configuration is Major as its capacity is more than 25 MW. The status of the power plant is Operational and is working successfully. The water source for the process of power generation is Jaldhaka River. The hydroelectric basin, where the plant is erected is Brahamaputra Basin. The power plant is situated in the Eastern Hydroelectric Region of the country. The hydroelectric development type of the power project is run of river water in small pondage. The structure type of the plant is Barrage.
The power station is owned by the State Government, under the control of West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (WBSEDCL). The beneficiary states/ districts of the power project are Darjeeling and its nearby districts. The hydroelectric project is completed and started its operations in 1967. The number of turbines in the power house of the plant is three. Each turbine in the power plant has a capacity of 9 MW. The type of turbine used in the power house is Francis. The maker of Turbine of the power house is by the TZ Litostroj Yugoslavia (unit 1 and unit 2) and Fuji Japan (unit 3). The maker of Generator of the power house is by the Rade Koncar Yugoslavia (unit 1 and unit 2) and Fuji Japan (unit 3). The unit size of the power plant is 27 MW having three units. All the units are commissioned.
How to Reach: Jaldhaka Hydroelectric Power Station is located in the Jhalong town of Darjeeling district in West Bengal. Jaldhaka does not have a train station, and the closest station is Jalpaiguri station. Bagdogra International Airport is the nearest Airport.
• Hydroelectric Project Name – Jaldhaka Hydroelectric Project
• Commission Date – 1967
• Approved Capacity in MW – 27 MW
• Installed Capacity in MW – 27 MW
• Type of Project – Major (Capacity > 25 MW)
• Status – Operational
• Water Source – Jaldhaka River
• Hydroelectric Basin – Brahamaputra Basin
• Hydroelectric Region – Eastern Hydroelectric Region.
• Hydroelectric Development Type - Run of the River Small Pondage
• Structure Type - Barrage
• Owner – Government State
• Operating Company – West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (WBSEDCL)
• Address – Jhalong, Darjeeling, West Bengal, India
• District - Darjeeling
• State – West Bengal
• Contact Number – 19121
• Website - www.wbsedcl.in
• Beneficiary States/ Union Territories – West Bengal and nearby States
• Completion of Power Project – 1967
• Number of Turbines – 3
• Capacity per Turbine – 9 MW x 3
• Type of Turbine – Francis
• Turbine Manufacturer – U-1&2 - TZ Litostroj Yugoslavia; U-3 - Fuji Japan
• Generator Manufacturer – U-1&2- Rade Koncar Yugoslavia; U-3 Fuji Japan
• Unit Sizes – 27 MW
• Total Units – 3
• Units Commissioned – All the three units are commissioned